Thursday, December 15, 2011

On Becoming Real

For over fifty years I've been on and am still on one path; the path of Becoming Real.  For most of my life I didn't even realize I was on this path.  I thought I was on the path of spiritual formation, or success, or family, or adventure.  But it was the path of Becoming Real.   It's taken me from my child-hood home in Peoria, Illinois to all but one of our 50 states, and to four continents.

Becoming Real led me to marry my high school sweetheart (Suzanne) and we've enjoyed 30+yrs together, 4 beautiful children, and now 4 incredible grandchildren.

I've had the privilege to pastor five churches over the past 30yrs.   And I've been blessed with some of the most wonderful friendships through these years.  From my first best friend (Larry Robbins),  to Kenny West (now with the Lord), to my most bestest friend and wife Suzanne - they've each been used by God on my path to Becoming Real.   I hope to share through tears and laughter how each has shaped me.

 Why "On Becoming Real?"   Like so many, the story of The Velveteen Rabbit has blessed our family.  Almost ten years ago my dear friend Kenny (West) died from cancer and I was asked to say a few words (almost impossible for me to do) at his memorial service.   All I could think of was how Kenny was "Real", like the Skin Horse from The Velveteen Rabbit.  "Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse.   "It's a thing that happens to you.  When a child loves you for a long, long time... then you become real."  Kenny was real, he knew it and led others on becoming real.

I hope to use this blog to share my story oh how I'm "Becoming Real" though the love I've received from God, my family, and those dear ones I am blessed to have as friends.   I've never blogged before so this might be messy.   I'll ask for your grace.   I hope it blesses and encourages you on your path;  On Becoming Real.

No comments:

Post a Comment